Welcome to part four of the the Little Red Riding Vic article series. This will not be as much of a “how to” article, only two chrome bolt-on accessories will be installed. You might say that it’s more of an update, and visual review before moving on to the more technical work of installing a Dynojet Power Commander and Autotune.
One of the most easiest improvements you can do to a Victory is to change out the accent covers on the primary and right side. There are more and more choices being added by accessory manufacturers for Victory, so shop around to find the right look for you. I chose the Arlen Ness “Finned” covers the quality is good, and they held up well on my previous Victory.
Installing the clutch side cover is easy, just two screws and it’s off, then the new cover goes on with the supplied allen head fasteners.
I think this is a huge improvement over the stamped aluminum stock cover, it looks more substantial. As easy as the primary cover was, the right side takes just a little more finesse to remove. The stock right side cover is held on with an adhesive pad. Removing it is similar to removing the DOT reflectors mentioned earlier in part two of this series. The difference is that you cannot get dental floss behind the cover to start the alcohol soaking in. Take a thin bladed screwdriver and very carefully slip it behind the cover and pry out to get it started. It should not take much pressure, and be careful not to damage your chrome. Once the alcohol soaks in, it should come off easily.
After the old one is removed, clean off any leftover glue and install the new cover. It is also held in place with an adhesive pad. The alignment is provided by a groove machined into the back that fits a corresponding bit on the engine. I recommend keeping the part pressed in place overnight to insure a good bond, a shop towel stuffed between the cover and brake pedal works great.
The next addition is what Victory calls “tip over protection,” back in the day we called them “crash bars.” I had two reasons for installing these, first, they bike looks incomplete without them, and two, I planned to buy the covers that went over them for cold weather riding.
The installation is straightforward, just three bolts, two at the top, one in the bottom. First remove the rubber cover over the top mount.
Once the covers are off, that will expose two plastic inserts, remove them with pliers.
You are almost ready to install the bars. There are rubber covers that must be slipped over the bars before bolting them on. Spraying a bit of water on the bar will let the cover slide easily over the bar.
And it should look like this, don’t screw up and put it on backward like I did the first time!
Before bolting it up, put some anti seize on the threads to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion.
The lower mount hole is steel, there was a bit of light rust going on, so the anti seize should help with that.
Start the bolts in the top with your fingers so you don’t cross thread them.
You won’t be able to do that with the bottom, it’s recessed, just run it in lightly with your socket wrench.
Then you tighten it all up, there were no torque specifications provided by Victory, so I tightened them until it felt “right.” Remember, you are screwing the top bolts into aluminum, so don’t go all “Hulk” and strip the threads by over tightening.
The last step is slipping the rubber cover in place, and it’s done.
This was how it looked at this point, tachometer, side covers and tip over protection mounted. There was nothing to installing the hard bags. I went to my Victory dealer when they came in, and it was a easy swap, they are held on with two quick release fasteners.
You might notice I still have the neck area stickers, I forgot to remove them, they’re gone now.
So far I am pleased with the way things turned out, it looks just like I thought it would. Stripped of all the stickers, decals, and DOT junk, the lines are smooth, and the color is fantastic. The hard bags are everything I hoped they would be, they look fantastic, and can hold my camera bag with room to spare. These shots were made September 2012. (yes, I know I’m behind) Since then I have had a chance to buy the tip over protection covers, they work very well in cold weather.
In part five of this series we will be installing a Dynojet Power Commander V and Autotune.
Words By: Terry Cavender
Images By: Terry Cavender